It is always so funny to me when people I’ve known for years and who see me regularly suddenly notice my tattoo on the inside of my left arm. I guess they don’t figure me to be the type to have a tattoo, especially one that’s a jolly roger flag. I got it in September of ’05 in a time period of my life that I don’t really enjoy remembering.The truth is that pirates represent evil: pillaging, plundering, raping, violence, etc. – those things are evil.
I was fascinated with the life on the sea part. . .and the rebellion against society as well. I grew up in an area where floods regularly occur and the river flows right on the side of where my parents live (it’s been in the background of quite a few of my photo-sessions). I always wanted to have a mini-ship on the river. As a child I had an “unhealthy” obsession with Pippi Longstocking and my mother wasn’t too happy about that (yes, I have seen all the films and read the book). My mom always told me she didn’t like how I always tried to dress and act like Pippi Longstocking, but she was the first “icon” that I was influenced or inspired by as a young child.  I even went to high school at 15 yrs. of age with wires in my two braids all bent outward like Pippi (again, this was not on Halloween, that’s just how I am).

The saddest reason about why I originally decided to get this on my arm, is to be in my 70s and wave my flabby flag arm to people. That’s it.  But I tell you the truth, I have a new reason and good explanation for my tattoo now that my life has been changed since I got it.
Pirates would raise up the jolly roger flag to warn other ships to surrender to them. I don’t want to have others surrender at all to me; I have been covered by the Grace of God for the wrongs I have done in my life. I think about how rebellious and hated Jesus was and is still today (I’m sure my “followers” will go down for just mentioning His name, but so be it). Jesus waved His “Jolly roger flag” to me and to others so that we can surrender to Him, and that is what I decided to do, and I am truly glad of this decision. I’m a failure, but through Him, healing has constantly taken charge and made a big difference in my life. I surrender.  Now I seek justice for those who are being oppressed around the world, especially by means of human trafficking/modern day slavery, specifically by means of sexual exploitation.
“He has shown you, O man/woman, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” – Micah 6:8
Outfit details:
shirts – Delias
reproduction 40s pants – Freddies of Pinewood
Shoes – converse all-stars
lightning jack pocket watch – gift from my brother
anchor necklace – Modcloth
Reproduction Belt – Vivien of Holloway
Bandana/Scarf – Renaissance Faire, NY state -Sterling Forest
Henry Avery Flag – ebay?

1. So gorgeous! I love the tattoo, but most of all I love the message. I also have a tattoo that I got at a time I'd rather forget, but it has come to mean a lot to me now–I've come a long way, and it's a reminder to be thankful for grace. :)Happy weekend, friend,Amanda (Miskabelle)

2. It's a good reminder to people when you write about your past and how God has changed you since. It's really easy to judge others especially on tattoos when you don't know what's going on or what went on in their lives because of the tattoo. Although I wouldn't get one myself, I still don't try to have my blind judgment guide my actions and feelings toward a tattooed Christian. Seeing that tattoo would've turned me off on your blog, but because I was open to reading about who you really were and what you stood for, I've acquired a good friend 🙂 We've all had sinful pasts (and some are still struggling even when saved), and a tattoo is a reminder of that past. Instead of "throwing rocks" at people, instead we should be like Christ and be a light to them especially when they're consciously making an effort to redirect their lives to Christ. Anything can be turned to good. As the Bible did say, what men meant for good, God can change for good. You have a great testimony to your tattoo! As I see it, it might even be an invitation for non-Christians to be open to you.

3. love it!!! i love that your tattoo has come to represent something different in your life now. and that when people ask about it, it's a great way to introduce your faith to them. grace is something that a lot of non christians don't know about. they see religion as a set of rules and not a relationship that is built on grace and mercy. this is so cool. 🙂 and i adore your jeans!

4. I think that it is awesome that you can use your tattoo to talk about Jesus. :)And pirates are cool!

5. You're a beautiful lady.

6. your outfit looks divine and so does your tattoo.For The Vintage Fashionista

7. Looking lovely and very interesting to hear how your tattoo has come to signify different things over time 🙂

8. I loved hearing how you made the meaning of your tattoo so positive! I would never have imagined you having such a tattoo and that's why it is so great! I love that you share your life with us and don't worry about having your followers go down. This blog is for YOU and about YOU, who cares what everyone else thinks! Your jeans are so awesomely high-waisted, I adore them!

9. LOL i used to have my hair like pipi longstocking ALL the time!!! LOVED her!!love this outfit and the tattoo really suits you! I love that you have a great story to go with it too!xoxo

10. i love how God uses all things for His glory. what an AWESOME God we serve!ps. those pants rock!pps. pippy longstocking has really cool hair, do you have any pics sporting that look?♥erica

11. He does indeed turn all our guilt into gold. Lovely story.

12. Wow, that's great, i'm so inspired :)Your willingness to talk about God and your passion for human rights is wonderful, thankyou! I wish there were more people like you in the world.As a side note, i love your outfit, so cute! xErinanodetoreverie.blogspot.com

13. I love that you are willing to talk about Jesus & His role in your life on your blog. That's truly inspiring! You're a gorgeous lady inside & out. Thank you so much for your comment and featuring me!! That made my week! 😀

14. It did really surprise me to learn that you have a tattoo of the jolly roger, but in a good way. I think the reason and message behind your tattoo is so very inspiring and beautiful. No matter what you will always have a constant reminder of your beliefs right there with you. You are so incredible!

15. Firstly, you are the most gorgeous pirate mankind has ever known. Secondly, I admire you for not being afraid to talk about your faith in your blog. Thirdly, that tattoo is AMAZING. Seriously, so many people get the lamest tattoos, but that one is awesome. Even if it didn't have a really great back story, it would still be one of the coolest tattoos ever. And lastly, I want your pocket watch!

16. We all have done things in our past that we wish we didn't. What is important is to learn from our mistakes, as everything we do shapes who we are. Good and Bad. I also find the concept of living on the sea and separating from society romantic, so I completely get that! Faith gives us strength. Good for you for being so open.

17. You look awesome. Just that. xx from Amsterdam!

18. great arms! you reall are so cool and at the same time adorable :)))

19. your adorable sailor/nautical outfit looks very cool with your tattoo, which i love by the way.

20. I couldn't help noticing while reading your story, the part about your followers going down by mentioning His name. I always ask God to give me by followers because I want the ones that he has for me. I would say that you got a great response to this post and I'd say that He has your back. But you know that already. Great Post. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes, have a great week.xo

21. The Pippi Longstocking books are great! Growing up Astrid Lindgren was my favourite author, and my favourite book by her was Ronia the Robbers Daughter (I always loved robber stories, not sure why!).

22. I too had a major obsession with Pipp Longstocking. My favorite version is the original Swedish one that's so poorly dubbed it's hysterical. I have been buying the books in hopes my daughter will take a liking to them. That and the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle stories….

23. You look amazing and I think the reason for your tattoo and the message behind it are both great. Everyone should be free to get whatever they want done if it's meaningful to them, and it's so nice to see that you've found a symbol that's meaningful to you. 🙂

24. You are so beautiful! I totally appreciate the fact that you shared this back story with us…and what a great meaning behind your tattoo! I love the Bible verse. I loved Pippi as a child, too. The old movies were my favorite. I can remember when I was little, every Friday night my mom would send my Dad and I to off to get a Little Ceasar's pizza, and then to the video rental store to pick out some movies. I would always always always pick out one of the same three movies (which drove my dad nuts.) They were Pippi Longstocking, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and The Neverending Story II. To this day they are still three of my favorites.

25. I love the pirate look on you! And your hair looks gorgeous as usual. xx CharlotteTuppence Ha'penny Vintage

26. Great explanation! I love your tattoo. I have loved pirates since I was young too. My Dad was in the Navy before I was born and I loved to look at pictures of him in his uniform. I did not go into the Navy, but still love pirates and almost anything with a nautical theme!

27. You look so wonderfully rockabilly here with your makeup, Victoria 🙂 Sometimes I can't believe what a cool mom you are! And I like hearing the stories behind tattoos always. I can't stand a tattoo that wasn't well thought out. :PBea from A plus B

28. love the nautical feel here 🙂 red and blue always work so well!

29. I love that your tattoo has a meaning for you. And one that changes with you, as you change as a person. I am so happy to see what an amazing person and mother you are. You are always very inspirational!!

30. I was just doing a lot of clicking online and somehow came across your blog, and I enjoyed reading this. The tattoo has a good story and you have a great message to share. I hope you're always loud with it haha! xoxo

31. I want photos and stylish like you,your blog is very inspired. And your fashion is very fresh ;)) peoples,she is cool ! 🙂 (sorry,my english is not perfect).

32. love your tattoo :)I'm following!!kissez from Greecehttp://limonspective.blogspot.com/

33. good stuff. as you know i have a bit of a pirate infatuation myself. LOVE your necklace. and I like that you did a post explaining your blog title. very nice.

34. Awesome! And well said! I too have a large tattoo (on my back of Angel wings) I don't regret it a bit and it brings me closer to Him each and everytime I see it. After 13 years, I had the wings touched up by the original artist, and I will say, Jesus is with you wherever you go! Even a tattoo parlour.

35. Yes I did a lot of blog hopping tonight and came across your blog on another persons blog. Sorry I don't remember who it was. But I wanted to say that as a fellow sister in Christ I realized when I started reading before I saw this post that hey she may be a christian, the tatoo could be something from her past. WOW! I was so glad to hear that you came to Christ and now have a great testimony you can share with others when they say why the tattoo, ect. That is great! God is so great to reveal Himself to others through wretches and sinners such as us. Praise God for His grace! a great message and I am following! 🙂 In Christ,Rebecca

36. love your tattoo :)I'm following!!kissez from Greecehttp://limonspective.blogspot.com/

37. I was just doing a lot of clicking online and somehow came across your blog, and I enjoyed reading this. The tattoo has a good story and you have a great message to share. I hope you're always loud with it haha! xoxo

38. Great explanation! I love your tattoo. I have loved pirates since I was young too. My Dad was in the Navy before I was born and I loved to look at pictures of him in his uniform. I did not go into the Navy, but still love pirates and almost anything with a nautical theme!

39. great arms! you reall are so cool and at the same time adorable :)))

40. You look awesome. Just that. xx from Amsterdam!

41. Wow, that's great, i'm so inspired :)Your willingness to talk about God and your passion for human rights is wonderful, thankyou! I wish there were more people like you in the world.As a side note, i love your outfit, so cute! xErinanodetoreverie.blogspot.com