January 27, 2013

Chocolate!!

Doing: blowing my nose
Listening: a Mark Driscoll Sermon
Reading: Weight of Glory by CS Lewis

When we visited Lynsie & Noah, we went to a fair-trade chocolate shop.  It was small, but so cute.  The bad part is that a few of the chocolates cost a bit of money, but then again the farmers of the cocoa beans actually get paid and are treated well, unlike other chocolate companies that are popular today in our culture (If you want to see graphic details of some of the beatings of slaves – mainly children get in the cocoa fields, just look at these images).

I went 6 months without any sugary sweety things at all, and it was time to reward myself.  Rob and I slowly ate these chocolates (our kids too).  We got the “Emergency Chocolate” for free with our purchase (great during menstruation haha), which was cool.  They were all delicious. I’m still working on the hot chocolate.

With Valentine’s Day coming up, I know a lot of people are going to be purchasing chocolates for others.  I recommend going for ones that will be unique and slave-free.

If you ever go to Cape May, NJ, check out this cute shop called Louisa’s Chocolate Bar
Chocolate pictured below:
John & Kira’s
Lake Champlain Chocolate
Divine Chocolate (our family’s favorite)
Bloomsbury & Co

chocolates3 chocolates4

chocolates5 chocolates6 chocolates7

1. looks like such a cute little shop! Def SO important to remember to buy slavery free chocolates & great to hear how you eat sweets in such moderation, as we do over there too : )

2. Aw man, Kyle loves chocolate. I might have to see if I can order some from them or see if any is sold in Michigan.

3. Wonderful! Trader Joe’s has some fair trade chocolate, and so does 10 Thousand Villages. Do you have one of those in NJ? There are a bunch out here, but I’m not sure if it’s a local thing or what.

4. Mmm…it all looks so yummy! I love sweet shops. They’re always so cute and smell so delicious!

5. Yum! Salted caramel! I never really consider the poor and cruel trade practices that go into chocolate. This will definitely influence my purchasing from now on.

6. What an awesome shop! YUM! Dark chocolate salted caramels! yum yum yum. I love the fair trade chococlates – there is one brand I really like, but I only know it by the packaging, not the name because it’s really long or something.

❤ katherine / of corgis & cocktails